From status: establishing a PGP web of trust
Hi all,

Since the status announcement last week a number of you
have contacted me about re-establishing credentials. In order to
establish a proper PGP web of trust we need keys that are cross-signed
by other developers. As such, we ask that you follow the following

1. Make sure your systems are uncompromised. We will address specific
recommended steps for that in a separate email.

2. Create a new PGP/GPG key, and also generate a key revocation
certificate (but don't import it anywhere -- save it for the
future) for your new key. In the near future we are considering
setting up an escrow service for key revocation certificates.

I recommend using a 4096-bit RSA key. Given how fast computers are
these days, there is no reason to use a shorter key. DSA keys
should be considered obsolete; substantial weaknesses have been
found in DSA.

$ gpg --gen-key
$ gpg -u <key ID> -o <key ID>.revoke --gen-revoke

3. If you are reasonably certain that your old key has never been
jeopardized, sign the new key with the old key.

$ gpg -u <your old key ID> --sign-key <your new key ID>

If you are *not* sure about your old keys, please revoke them if
you haven't already done so (create a revocation certificate and
import it into your keyring, then push the key to the key servers.)

$ gpg -u <your old key ID> -o <your old key ID>.revoke --gen-revoke
$ gpg --import <your old key ID>.revoke
$ gpg --keyserver --send-key <your old key ID>

4. Upload the signed keys to the keyserver system (I usually use, but most of the keyservers sync with each other with
roughly a 24-hour delay.) By publishing the keys we make them
available not only to but for other uses, like signing
email, and you can verify yourself by looking at
if there is someone out there who has published a key with your name
on it. Furthermore, it allows us to tap other webs of trust already

$ gpg --keyserver --send-key <your key ID>

5. Get as many other kernel developers that you have physical access to
to sign your key after verifying the fingerprint. Verifying keys
over the phone is OK if and only if you know them *extremely* well;
think "would I be willing to testify in court that the person I
talked to was X"?

If you work in an office with multiple other Linux developers, it
would be a very good thing to organize a local key signing. We will
do a key signing at Kernel Summit for the core kernel developers.

A web site with recommendations for running a key signing:

$ gpg --fingerprint <key ID>
$ gpg --keyserver --recv-key <their key ID>
$ gpg -u <your key ID> --sign-key <their key ID>
$ gpg --keyserver --send-key <their key ID>
$ gpg --keyserver --recv-key <your key ID>

6. Please send me the key identifier and fingerprint to
<>. This is a temporary address until the
MX is ready to put back online; eventually we will probably have a
web form interface for this.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -