    SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
    On 12/5/05, Pekka Enberg <> wrote:

    > I know I have become a very disappointed ATI
    > customer after figuring out that they have zero interest in me using
    > the hardware I paid for on Linux...

    I remember calling up ATI and speaking to the CEO's secretary back in
    the late 1990s. They'd just started to help out the GATOS guys a
    little back then and I decided that they cared more than Nvidia do
    about Linux so I would continue to buy only ATI cards. The ATI/Nvidia
    thing even determined which model of Powerbook I would buy (since the
    12" model had an Nvidia chipset).

    Now I'm just disgusted with them. I understand exactly why they've
    done what they have, but it's very uncool. People should call them up
    and ask them to reconsider their actions. Question: who can I pay
    money to for graphics cards that don't have hobbled drivers?

    P.S. I'm not just being anti-ATI. There are many others who are far
    far worse - but we need good vendor support for graphics now more than
    we ever did if more people are going to enjoy a good desktop
    experience when using Linux.

      Last update: 2005-12-06 18:06    [W:0.020 / U:1.788 seconds]