    SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
    On Tuesday 06 December 2005 03:18, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 04:18:51AM -0800, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    > > The December 6 event is extraordinarily unlikely. What's vastly more
    > > likely is consistent "erosion" over time. First the 3D video drivers,
    > > then the wireless network drivers, then the fakeraid drivers, and so on.
    > I agree about the erosion.
    > I am convinced that the only way to stop the erosion is to totally stop
    > buying hardware that has only binary only drivers (unless you buy it to
    > create an open source driver or to reverse engineer the binary only
    > driver of course! ;).

    I'm afraid there is not enough Linux users in desktop/laptop market
    for vendors to notice.

    How about refusing binary-only modules instead? I mean, maybe
    if Linux will stop being lax about GPL requirements on modules.

      Last update: 2005-12-06 13:30    [W:0.019 / U:30.284 seconds]