    SubjectFAT, NTFS, CIFS and DOS attributes
    Hello all,

    I recently posted to LKML a patch to get or set DOS attribute flags for
    fatfs. That patch used ioctl(). It was suggested that a better way
    would be using xattrs, although the xattr mechanism seems clumsy to me,
    and has namespace issues.

    I also think it would be good to have a unified interface for FAT, NTFS
    and CIFS for these attributes.

    I noticed that CIFS has a placeholder "user.DosAttrib" in cifs/xattr.c,
    although it doesn't seem to be implemented.

    a) is xattr the right thing? It seems to be a fairly complex and
    ill-thought-out mechanism all along, especially the whole namespace
    business (what is a system attribute to one filesystem is a user
    attribute to another, for example.)

    b) if xattr is the right thing, shouldn't this be in the system
    namespace rather than the user namespace?

    c) What should the representation be? Binary byte? String containing a
    subset of "rhsvda67" (barf)?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.018 / U:33.100 seconds]