SubjectRe: FAT, NTFS, CIFS and DOS attributes
Michael B Allen wrote:
>>Thus, I'd propose:
>> system.dosattrib - DOS attributes (single byte)
>> system.dosshortname - DOS short name (e.g. for VFAT)
> Oh, from the man page I thought 'system' attributes were "extended
> attributes to which ordinary processes should not have access". Is that
> not true? If it is true, how would an ordinary user change these attrs?

Extended system attributes
Extended system attributes are used by the kernel to store sys-
tem objects such as Access Control Lists and Capabilities. Read
and write access permissions to system attributes depend on the
policy implemented for each system attribute implemented by
filesystems in the kernel.

It's not *that* broken...