SubjectRe: FAT, NTFS, CIFS and DOS attributes
tridge@samba.org wrote:
> > Right, it's the "design is broken so everything ends up in user.*".
> > Now, I clearly dislike the StudlyCaps used here, but if it's already
> > deployed it's probably too late to fix this :(
>
> Samba4 is only deployed by a very few brave sites (such as my wifes
> server) who all know that things might change in non-compatible
> ways. Still, I'd want a slightly stronger reason than dislike of
> studly caps to change it :-)

The slightly stronger reason is basically the same reason why we don't
stuff a bunch of things into a struct stat and call a single system call
to change a bunch of attributes; you don't want to have to change them
all every time, and by putting them all in the same structure that's
your only option, since setxattr() doesn't allow you to mask and merge.

Incidentally, the document you pointed me to wasn't clear on the
endianness convention.

-hpa

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.141 / U:0.652 seconds]