    Subject[OT] Confirmation Spam Blocking was: List 'linux-dvb' closed to public posts
    On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:15:50PM +0000, Dave Jones wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 01:38:19PM -0700, Zan Lynx wrote:
    > > Compared to the time required to write up a good bug report or patch,
    > > what's the problem with the couple minutes needed to subscribe,
    > > authorize and _then_ post to the list?
    > Closed lists are just *rude*. The only intention is to stop spam,
    > but personally, I find hoop-jumping like this *more* of an inconvenience
    > than spam, (and I get a *lot* of spam, several megs a day on a quiet day)
    > Some maintainers get *really pissed off* when you short-circuit them
    > and send fixes to Linus directly. But if I'm forced to jump through hoops
    > each time I fix up random parts of the kernel, I'm going to be equally
    > as rude as I consider they are by doing the best they can to inconvenience
    > people with good intentions, and mail them straight to Linus/Andrew/Marcelo.

    What do you think about individual email (non-list) using a confirmation
    based spam blocking system.

    I currently use spamassassin to filter my messages, but I saw recently a
    project that asks you to reply to a confirmation message if you're not
    already on the white-list.

    I'm not sure how acceptable it would be, and this is a little OT, but I'm
    wondering if I should spend the time testing that for my corp.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.020 / U:14.412 seconds]