    SubjectRe: Fix up power managment in 2.6
    Date
    [...]
    Patrick> Power management has not worked for a majority of users for a
    Patrick> long time. It's in dire need of someone with motivation,
    Patrick> direction, and the time to make it work properly, and get it
    Patrick> on par with some of our contemporary OSes. I'm trying to be
    Patrick> that person, and actually fix things in the long run, rather
    Patrick> than encouraging people to "fix it themselves".
    [...]

    I'd like to throw in some comments from a user's point of view.

    I've been using software suspend for quite a long time now. I was happy
    when Pavel made it work back when he first got to it. I was a bit less
    happy when it turned out that it doesn't really work all that well. Then
    I was happy again when Nigel Cunningham put in a *lot* of hard work
    (which he still does now) and made the 2.4 swsusp code nice and
    stable. The result of Nigel's work is code that allows me 2-3 weeks of
    uptime on my laptop with several suspends a day.

    In the meantime, the 2.5 version hasn't really gone anywhere
    interesting. It did not work for me when it was first merged, and it did
    not work in -test3 either. People reporting problems were mostly told to
    fix things themselves (which shows a blatant disregard for testers'
    time, a common pitfall for people that write code).

    Being a maintainer IMHO means fixing things, not standing in an ivory
    "maintainer" tower and shouting at people.

    Therefore, I couldn't agree more with Patrick. I am very happy to see
    that someone actually cares about the code, tries to clean it up and fix
    things. I hope things _will_ get fixed over time. And I certainly think
    that Patrick's cleanups and refactoring are better than the constantly
    broken state that software suspend was in.

    --J.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.021 / U:30.464 seconds]