    SubjectRe: SSSCA: We're in trouble now
    On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Florian Weimer wrote:

    > Thomas Hood <jdthood@mail.com> writes:
    >
    > >> The solution is simple: go and create your own content, and share
    > >> it with your friends. But you won't get Hollywood movies this way.
    > >
    > > The problem is that copy-protection will only be effective if you
    > > impose Soviet style restrictions on the use of computers.
    >
    > That's not necessarily true. Most people cannot circumvent even basic
    > obstacles when it comes to computers, and both industry and
    > legislative might be content with that.

    It seems highly unlikely. The goal of any such legislation and its
    technological implmentation, whether copy protection, crypto, or
    whatever, is not to make it *difficult* to circumvent the obstacle but
    make it prohibitively *costly* for all but security agencies to do so.

    --
    M. Edward Borasky
    znmeb@borasky-research.net

    The COUGAR Project
    http://www.borasky-research.com/Cougar.htm
    How to Stop A Folksinger Cold # 2
    "Are you going to Scarborough Fair?..."
    No.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:21    [W:0.025 / U:29.756 seconds]