SubjectRe: SSSCA: We're in trouble now
Date
----- Original Message -----
From: "Helge Hafting" <helgehaf@idb.hist.no>
To: "Florian Weimer" <Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE>;
<linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: SSSCA: We're in trouble now

> On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 09:35:43AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> [...]
> > That's not necessarily true. Most people cannot circumvent even basic
> > obstacles when it comes to computers, and both industry and
> > legislative might be content with that.
>
> Don't be too sure about that. If a "few" knows how to circumvent,
> they'll release circumvention kits that anybody can use.
>
> Few people can use a new buffer overflow exploit, much
> more can use a rootkit.

Well, even if those who uses a rootkit are many more than those who knows
how to use a buffer exploit, that doesn't mean they represent more than 5%
of all computer users.

My stepfather just recently figured out that you can actually DRAG a window
around the desktop. I don't think he will be using a rootkit in some time,
and I am pretty sure he don't know anyting about SSSCA, nor will he, nor
will he be able to understand if I told him.

(btw. I might very well be ~69.5% off topic now, as I missed some of the
conversation)