    SubjectRe: What's left over.
    On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    |>Linus Torvalds wrote:
    |>[yes, I realize the LKCD merge debate is over, bear with me :)]

    For Linus, it is.

    |>That said, I used to be an LKCD cheerleader until a couple people made
    |>some good points to me: it is not nearly low-level enough to truly be
    |>of use in crash situations. netdump can work if your interrupts are
    |>hosed/screaming, and various mid-layers are dying. For LKCD to be of
    |>any use, it needs to _skip_ the block layer and talk directly to
    |>low-level drivers.

    Just to clarify, LKCD is NOT block based dumping, OR net based
    dumping, or anything. It's an infrastructure for dumping that
    lets you, the user, the distributor, the customer, whatever,
    make the decision for what's right for you. Yes, we provide
    disk based dumping now, and are including the net dump code
    very soon, as well as some of these other smaller dump methods.

    Has ANYONE other than Christoph and Stephen H. done a full review of
    the LKCD patch set before commenting? Or are people just making
    this stuff up as they go along? A ton of things have changed
    over the past year just because people complained about only doing
    disk dumping. And then to hear this ...

    |>So, I think the stock kernel does need some form of disk dumping,
    |>regardless of any presence/absence of netdump. But LKCD isn't
    |>there yet...

    Please read the patches and decide again. If you want the latest
    net dump patch, let me know.

    |> Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.018 / U:6.600 seconds]