    SubjectRe: What's left over.
    > Talk is cheap.
    >
    > I've not seen a _single_ bug-report with a fix that attributed the
    > existing LKCD patches. I might be more impressed if I had.
    >
    > The basic issue is that we don't put patches in in the hope that they will
    > prove themselves later. Your argument is fundamentally flawed.

    comment from userspace:

    I'm going to have to side with Linus here despite my desire to see LKCD merged.
    However, we need to show him the money. This means:

    * making sure that the patches are kept up to date

    * keep the LKCD patches in the list/community spotlight in a positive
    manner ("please test this!", or "please use this when
    looking for help debugging a system problem"). Perhaps
    a 2.5.x-lkcd bk tree or something like that.

    * make documentation/HOWTO's available for folks so that
    they'll know how to generate a crashdump
    and run a some utilities against it to generate
    a synopsis which can be submitted for debugging

    * most important: squash a whole lot of bugs with
    said dumps!

    If it becomes apparent through empirical data that crash dumps are a useful
    tool, I'm sure that Linus will become far more amenable. Until then, lets let
    him handle all of his other work which needs to get done.

    -- craig

    Craig I. Hagan
    hagan(at)cih.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.029 / U:29.760 seconds]