    SubjectRe: What's left over.
    On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Craig I. Hagan wrote:

    > > Talk is cheap.
    > >
    > > I've not seen a _single_ bug-report with a fix that attributed the
    > > existing LKCD patches. I might be more impressed if I had.
    > >
    > > The basic issue is that we don't put patches in in the hope that they will
    > > prove themselves later. Your argument is fundamentally flawed.
    >
    > comment from userspace:
    >
    > I'm going to have to side with Linus here despite my desire to see LKCD
    > merged.

    I'll have to disagree with what you're saying, because:

    > However, we need to show him the money. This means:
    >
    > * making sure that the patches are kept up to date

    They are being kept up to date, and aparently have been for some time.

    > * keep the LKCD patches in the list/community spotlight in a positive
    > manner ("please test this!", or "please use this when
    > looking for help debugging a system problem"). Perhaps
    > a 2.5.x-lkcd bk tree or something like that.

    Umm, and the difference between maintaining a set of patches per kernel
    version and something using bitkeeper (or heaven forbid, CVS)? Even
    Linus didn't starting using source code management until somewhat
    recently.

    > * make documentation/HOWTO's available for folks so that
    > they'll know how to generate a crashdump
    > and run a some utilities against it to generate
    > a synopsis which can be submitted for debugging

    Have you seen http://lkcd.sf.net ? They have that there. I've
    successfully walked through their well-written tutorials and produced
    crashdumps from machines that have failed.

    > * most important: squash a whole lot of bugs with
    > said dumps!

    Perhaps people are but they're not posting the bugs to the list...

    > If it becomes apparent through empirical data that crash dumps are a useful
    > tool, I'm sure that Linus will become far more amenable. Until then, lets let
    > him handle all of his other work which needs to get done.

    The data is there, perhaps not for Linux, but for other Unixes -
    including ones like the BSDs. Crashdumps are an invaluable resource for
    finding bugs that involve things like hardware that doesn't conform
    exactly to specs, or deadlocks, or...

    Pat
    --
    Purdue Universtiy ITAP/RCS
    Information Technology at Purdue

    http://dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert2040637020924.gif

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.026 / U:118.956 seconds]