    SubjectRe: linux-kernel's extremely slow turnaround time
    On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, David S. Miller wrote:

    > Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 14:36:57 -0500
    > From: Jordan Mendelson <>
    > Also, what kind of box is vger right now and what kind of
    > CPU/memory load is the box at on average?
    > SS10, 40Mhz SuperSparc, 128MB ram. Running 2.0.33vger + bunch of
    > local networking hacks to kill various bogus sites sending ICMP
    > redirects to it (some I caught were from Australia, haha very
    > funny... gets these from time to time too)
    > Keep in mind that vger also does loads of CVS activity (read as: very
    > disk and memory intensive) and this can cut into the cpu time zmailer
    > gets and occaisionally causes thrashing when many people hit vger with
    > anoncvs updates etc. (so for the weekend I have anoncvs turned off so
    > vger can catch up with all the email backlog).
    > A little known fact that caused the recent problems is that the
    > subscription list to linux-kernel tripled in size around the time when
    > Linus started doing 2.2.0 pre-releases and the masses started to
    > notice.

    Have ya ever tried qmail? I can't comment on it's ability to handle
    huge lists, but I here it's pretty scalable.

    zmailer is nice too, don't get me wrong... I was just wondering how the
    two compare.

    <=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
    Day 2182 for the poor and the middle class.
    Day 2201 for the rich and the dead.
    740 days remaining in the Raw Deal.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.021 / U:1.172 seconds]