    SubjectRe: linux-kernel's extremely slow turnaround time
    On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Matti Aarnio wrote:

    > Jordan Mendelson <jordy@wserv.com> wrote:
    > > Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > I doubt DaveM needs convincing, if someone can ship him a bigger box to
    > > > replace Vger Im sure he'd be very happy
    > >
    > > Anyone know how much mail on average vger.rutgers.edu handles per day?
    > > With all the mailing lists it handles it might be worth while to add a
    > > second box instead of replacing vger. I noticed it used zmailer and I'm
    > > not sure how it's performance compares to sendmail.
    >
    > With these loads, sendmail would have killed the box
    > ages ago... The main problems spin around Majordomo,
    > and the ``small'' fact that each posting to any list
    > goes once thru Majordomo, and THRISE thru the mailer
    > with one run with 3000+ recipients.

    Um, why sendmail/majordomo? Debian uses qmail, which has built-in list
    handling. It is fast(but non-free, ick). To see some stats, go to
    http://murphy.debian.org/mrtg/(this is lists.debian.org)

    We have turn-around times of not more than 20 minutes. The machine is a
    pentium 75, with 64m, and 120m of swap.