SubjectRe: linux-kernel's extremely slow turnaround time
   Date: 	Fri, 08 Jan 1999 14:36:57 -0500
From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@wserv.com>

Also, what kind of box is vger right now and what kind of
CPU/memory load is the box at on average?

SS10, 40Mhz SuperSparc, 128MB ram. Running 2.0.33vger + bunch of
local networking hacks to kill various bogus sites sending ICMP
redirects to it (some I caught were from Australia, haha very
funny... ftp.kernel.org gets these from time to time too)

Keep in mind that vger also does loads of CVS activity (read as: very
disk and memory intensive) and this can cut into the cpu time zmailer
gets and occaisionally causes thrashing when many people hit vger with
anoncvs updates etc. (so for the weekend I have anoncvs turned off so
vger can catch up with all the email backlog).

A little known fact that caused the recent problems is that the
subscription list to linux-kernel tripled in size around the time when
Linus started doing 2.2.0 pre-releases and the masses started to
notice.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.166 / U:0.028 seconds]