SubjectRe: AMD K6 233 Cpu 465 BogoMips??

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Alex Buell wrote:

> Hmm... interesting points to ponder. Now that we've got GPL'd sourceware,
> how about GPL'd motherboards and GPL'd processors? That is, a bunch of
> hardware engineers and operating system architects could get together and
> design a cheap and easily manufacturable motherboard and a processor to go
> with it and stick the GPL on it. I've designed on paper back in the late

That's not such a bad idea. The problem is that designing something isn't
equivalent to building it. unless they make MMETs commonplace it costs a
billion $ to have your own plant.
Even a more moderate idea (like designing an SMP mainboard for Power PC)
can be pretty complex. The thing is it will cost a lot to produce a 6-7
levels board. It's not ham radio unfortunately :(

Vladimir Dergachev

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:1.560 / U:0.328 seconds]