SubjectRe: AMD K6 233 Cpu 465 BogoMips??
In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980904161431.144C-100000@lo-pc3035a>, Alex Buell
| Hmm... interesting points to ponder. Now that we've got GPL'd sourceware,
| how about GPL'd motherboards and GPL'd processors? That is, a bunch of
Whatever happened to the "Free Hardware Foundation", which was doing just
that (designing a motherboard which wouldn't be encumbered with proprietary

Unfortunately, I can guess: as soon as your design includes PCI you're up
the creek. Intel has you by the short ones. (And just try selling someone
on a motherboard that doesn't support PCI.)

# # #

I'd be half tempted to try running your design past the smart folks on the
chip design side of Hamerschlag D level. (Who, me? I'm no chip designer; I
compile software for 'em when I'm not installing systems for 'em.
Naturally, they want Linux :-)

brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
system administrator [WAY too many hats]
electrical and computer engineering KF8NH
carnegie mellon university