SubjectBuild your own Motherboards (was Re: AMD K6 233 Cpu 465 BogoMips??)
On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

> That's not such a bad idea. The problem is that designing something isn't
> equivalent to building it. unless they make MMETs commonplace it costs a
> billion $ to have your own plant.

I would have thought that there are plenty of companies who would be
willing to manufacture a motherboard to your specifications using common
off the shelf components. I think this would be a nice small niche in the
market.

> Even a more moderate idea (like designing an SMP mainboard for Power PC)
> can be pretty complex. The thing is it will cost a lot to produce a 6-7
> levels board. It's not ham radio unfortunately :(

Yes, but once you've done the design work, it's quite cheap to manufacture
them. It's the design & development that is the real killer here.

Cheers,
Alex
--
/\_/\ Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
> ^ < Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.101 / U:0.024 seconds]