SubjectRe: Your backup is unsafe!

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi Khimenko.

> >> The original design is, yes, but then, that came from Microsoft,
> >> so what can one expect. The Linux implementation isn't too bad
> >> in a lot of ways, but there are a few tweaks that are needed to
> >> polish it up to the professional standards that Linus generally
> >> requires.
>
> > You can not workaround general flaws in design.
>
> Certain Intel Pentium class chips had a "general flaw" in their
> design that gained the nickname "F00F Bug", but Linux manages to
> quite successfully work round the said problem. I can see no good
> reason why the same shouldn't be true of the flaws in the VFAT
> design.

F00F is not design flaw. It' just minor error. Flaw of such type for
fylesystem will be something like wrong work with filename exactly 37
characters length. And such errors can be workarounded, yes.

> > Linux has mostly the same problem with vfat as Win9X/WinNT
> > itself.
>
> There's no need to introduce additional flaws to the design. I
> see the hidden filenames as an additional flaw that needs fixing,
> although I agree with Alexander that the case of directories with
> dual names needs careful consideration.

It's NOT additinal flaw. Windows9X/NT has the SAME flaw itself: you can
not see long and short names at the same time in directory list (exception
is specially designed programs and you can make such programs for Linux as
well) but you can use both ! Why "Program Files" is "PROGRA~1" and not
"PROGRAMF" ? To reduce problems from such collisions.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.238 / U:0.404 seconds]