SubjectRe: Your backup is unsafe!

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Robert de Bath wrote:

> Apperently the VFAT needs some more cleaning, I imagine when perfect the
> short names will have no effect what so ever if the filesystem is mounted
> as a VFAT partiton, the only way you'll be able to do anything with them
> is with the SAMBA ioctls.

Some @#$^ing programs apparently want to be able to access the files via
short names.

> The problem with linuxlfnbk (or rather I imagine it'd be a shortname backup)
> is how do you restore the data ? There's no way to control the short name
> VFAT uses is there ?

As much as I hate such 'solutions' - add an ioctl() for munge-changing.
Yes, adding ioctls stinks. But it's less PITA then playing games with
dcache and screwing VFS for the sake of braindead monstrosity.

> Possibility (3)
> Ignore it, it's a windows problem :-) :-)
>
> (Scheesh! All these hoops just for gui-dos! :-) )

Sounds fine with me.