SubjectRe: Your backup is unsafe!
On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 04:43:47PM +0400, Khimenko Victor wrote:
> In <aa06777206b9fa39@home-box.demon.co.uk> Robert de Bath (rd103978@home-box.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> > On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:
> > Apperently the VFAT needs some more cleaning, I imagine when perfect the
> > short names will have no effect what so ever if the filesystem is mounted
> > as a VFAT partiton, the only way you'll be able to do anything with them
> > is with the SAMBA ioctls.
>
> You CAN NOT do this. Windows9X will be VERY upset if there are will be two
> directories: one -- PROGRA~1 with LFN "Program files" and other -- some
> other short name (not relevant) with LFN "PROGRA~1". And if short names are
> hidded you can create such mess with just `mkdir PROGRA~1'...

How about immutable symlinks (I think that's the right word) that are
visible from linux for the short names? They could be manipulated by
anything in the "know" via ioctls or something, but not by usual tools
(rm, mv, etc.)

This won't fix the back up problem. And it won't be fun for copying
to/from vfat space.

The only other solution is that the VFS runs with long names and a
userspace tool runs afterwards/periodically to re-sync the short names.

I suspect that the backup/copy problem is not fixable. If you want
correct backups of the short names, then the proper tools will be needed.

*sigh*

Ciao!

--
"If only you'd listened to me, I could have saved you from all that yukkiness."
--Kryten (Red Dwarf)

The Doctor What: "What, Doctor What" http://www.gerf.org/~docwhat/
docwhat@gerf.org (finger docwhat@gerf.org for PGP key)
KF6VNC

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.485 / U:0.792 seconds]