    SubjectRe: Your backup is unsafe!
    Hi Khimenko.

    >>> The whole vfat design is "disaster waiting to happen" :-/

    >> The original design is, yes, but then, that came from Microsoft,
    >> so what can one expect. The Linux implementation isn't too bad
    >> in a lot of ways, but there are a few tweaks that are needed to
    >> polish it up to the professional standards that Linus generally
    >> requires.

    > You can not workaround general flaws in design.

    Certain Intel Pentium class chips had a "general flaw" in their
    design that gained the nickname "F00F Bug", but Linux manages to
    quite successfully work round the said problem. I can see no good
    reason why the same shouldn't be true of the flaws in the VFAT

    > Linux has mostly the same problem with vfat as Win9X/WinNT
    > itself.

    There's no need to introduce additional flaws to the design. I
    see the hidden filenames as an additional flaw that needs fixing,
    although I agree with Alexander that the case of directories with
    dual names needs careful consideration.

    Best wishes from Riley.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.023 / U:14.460 seconds]