    Subjectdocumenting the kernel

    Albert D. Cahalan writes:
    > There will be more successful kernel development in the
    > future if adequate documentation exists. Specifically,
    > the best time to document the dcache/inode stuff is now.

    If anyone starts the initiative, please tell me. I'll try to help as
    well.

    I've got quite an experience with a design and implementation of large
    systems, but it's completely different with an O/S kernel, mostly
    because of very tight links between hardware and software and because
    the kernel code is not properly commented. It is sad, that some great
    guys in the Linux kernel development think of people, asking for the
    code to be documented, as of a bunch of whiners, who just want to
    bother them. Instead, the better documented the cod is, the more
    people will be able to fix bugs they encounter without asking others,
    so the more time the gurus will spend on introducing new features
    instead of fixing the old bugs.

    It's not fun just to beg for bugs to be fixed without contributing
    oneself. But you gurus, ples realize that it *is* impossible to take a
    stock 2.0.x kernel and to start reading right away. A good document
    comparing a modern Linux to the hypothetical UNIX described in the
    Bach's book (listing all improvements of Bach's algorithms and data
    structures) would be great. As soon as I finish reading Bach, I'll try
    to start writing something like that.

    --
    -Alexander

    Alexander L. Belikoff abel@bfr.co.il
    Berger Financial Research Ltd.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:60.708 seconds]