    SubjectRe: documenting the kernel
    Alan Cox:

    : Just pick a bit of code and contribute docs, either to the Linux KHG
    : or to comments/document files for the source tree. I'm happy to start
    : checking them in and Im sure Linus won't object too much

    I hope you check them for correctness and conciseness.

    The interesting comments are global.
    With well-chosen identifiers and a clean programming style
    local comments are often superfluous.
    Heavily commented code is not very readable.
    But an incorrect comment can make finding a bug much harder;
    without the comment one just reads the code, and sees a bug;
    with the comment it requires mental effort to disregard it
    while reading the code.

    [In other words, I would prefer seeing the documentation go into
    the KHG, and have comments written by the people who also wrote
    the code.]

    Andries

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:1.104 seconds]