    SubjectOT: Open letter to the Linux World

    What is intelligence? Not exactly the spook kind, but rather what is
    the definition of intelligence in humans? This is pretty good:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence#Definitions

    By most accounts, the self-appointed and arguably too influential
    creators and thinkers of the day around the 'One Linux' idea fit the
    definition of intelligent people - at least in the technical realm.

    And their messages are pretty compelling:
    * Simplify cross-distro development.
    * Enable faster boot times.
    * Enable an on-demand, event driven architecture, similar to 'Modern'
    Operating Systems.
    * Bring order and control to subsystems that have had as many different
    tools as there were distros.

    All seemingly noble goals. All apparently come from a deep desire to
    contribute and make things better.

    Almost anyone could argue that these intelligent people thought hard
    about these issues, and put an enormous amount of effort into a
    solution to these problems. Unfortunately, the solution they came up
    with, as you may have guessed by now, is 'systemd'.

    While not new, it's grotesque impact has finally reached me and I must
    speak to it publicly.

    So, what is systemd? Well, meet your new God. You may have been praying
    at the alter of simplicity, but your religion is being deprecated. It
    likely already happened without your knowledge during an upgrade of
    your Linux box. systemd is the all knowing, all controlling meta-deity
    that sees all and supervises all. It's the new One Master Process that
    aspires to control everything it can - and it's already doing a lot.
    It's what init would look like if it were a transformer on steroids.
    It's complicated, multi-faceted, opaque, and supremely powerful.

    I had heard about systemd a few years back, when upstart and some other
    init replacements I can't remember were showing up on the scene. And
    while it seemed mildly interesting, I was not in favor of using it, nor
    any of them for that matter. init was working just fine for me. init
    was simple and robust. While configuration had it's distro-specific
    differences, it was often these differences that made one pick the
    distro to use in the first place, and to stay with that distro. The
    tools essentially *were* the distro. I just dist-upgraded to Jessie,
    and voila - PID 1 was suddenly systemd. What a clusterfuck.

    In a 'One Linux' world, what would distros actually be? Deprecated. No
    longer relevant. Archaic shells of their once proud individualism.
    Basically, they're now just a logo and a default desktop background
    image. Because let's face it, there only needs to be One Modern
    'competitor' to the Windows/Mac ownership of personal computing. A
    unified front to combat the evil empires of Redmond and Cupertino is
    what's needed. The various differences that made up different 'flavors'
    of Linux needed to be corralled and brought into compliance for the war
    to proceed efficiently. Um, what war?

    For me, Linux had already won that war way back in 1994 when I started
    using it. It did it without firing a shot or attempting to be just like
    the other OSes. It won it it by not giving a flying fuck about market
    share. It won it by being exactly NOT them. It won it by being simple
    and understandable and configurable to be exactly how *I* wanted it to
    be. It won it by being a collection of simple modular components that
    could be plugged together at will to do real work. It won it by
    adhering to a deeply considered philosophy of the user being in the
    drivers seat, and being free to run the things she wanted to, without
    layers and layers of frameworks wrapping their tendrils into all manor
    of stuff they should not be touching. It won it without the various
    'CrapKit' shit that's begun to insinuate itself into the heart of my
    system of late. It won it without being overly complex and unknowable.
    That kind of opacity was was the core of Windows and Mac, and that's
    exactly what I despise about them, and exactly why I chose to use Linux
    in the first goddamn place. systemd is embracing *all* that I hate about
    Windows and Mac, and doing so in the name of 'modernity' and
    'simplifying' a developer's job.

    So why would very smart people who love and use Linux want to create or
    embrace such a creepy 'Master of All' daemon? Ostensibly, it's for the
    reasons they say, as I mentioned at the top. But partially I think it's
    from a lack of experience. Not a lack as in programming hours, but a
    lack as in time on the Planet. Intelligence alone is not a substitute
    for life experience and, yes I'll say it, wisdom. There's no manual for
    wisdom. Implementing systemd by distros is not a wise move for them over
    the long term. It will, in fact, be their ultimate undoing.

    Partially it's the larger-than-life egos of the people involved. Has
    anyone actually read what Poettering says about things? Wow. This guy
    is obviously convinced he has all the answers for everyone. Traditional
    ideas about simplicity and freedom are quaint, but have no real place
    in a 'modern' OS. Look, he's just smarter than you, so get over it and
    move aside. He knows what's best, and he has it under control. How old
    is this guy anyway? 12 or so? He's a fucking tool (IMHO).

    Partially it's roiling subsurface commercial interests. Look, We can
    make more money selling stuff to Linux users if there were a simpler
    distro agnostic way to do that. Fuck choice, they'll like what they get.

    Partially it may well be nefarious and shadowy in nature. With One Ring
    to rule them all, having access to it sure would be sweet for those
    hell-bent on total information awareness. Trust is not real high on my
    list of things to give out these days.

    Partially it's a belief that the Linux Community must fight against the
    hegemony of Windows and Mac - as if the existence of Linux depends upon
    the vanquishing of alternatives. Those who think Linux should cater to
    idiots and droolers should go back to their Macs and Windoze boxen, and
    stop trying to 'fix' Linux. It wasn't fucking broken!

    Partially - and this is what I cannot abide - it is a blatant disregard
    and disrespect - whether knowingly or not - of the major tenets of
    *NIX. It's a thoughtless discarding of, and a trampling on the values
    that I personally hold to be true and just, and I am not alone here.
    systemd is the exact opposite of what defines *NIX. And I'm not
    blathering on about POSIX compliance either. It's the Philosophy stupid.

    systemd is a coup. It is a subversive interloper designed to destroy
    Linux as we know it, foisted upon us by the snarky
    we-know-better-than-you CamelCase crowd. They just don't get it down
    deep where it matters. systemd is not pointing in a direction that we
    should be going. It does not encourage freedom. It does not encourage
    choice. It does not display transparency. It does not embrace
    simplicity. It seizes control and forces you to cede it. It makes
    applications and major system components depend on it, and they cannot
    function without it. It's gaining speed by luring naive or lazy or just
    plain clueless developers into the fold with the promise of making
    their lives easier. Buying into this way of thinking ignores the
    greater dangers that systemd represents.

    Debian has always held the line against this kind of thing in the past,
    and has always earned my utmost respect and loyalty for their
    integrity. Debian's decision here was as a hand forced. Debian has made
    a grave and cowardly mistake here, and they need a course correction
    immediately. Incorporating systemd was not an intelligent choice, and
    certainly not one very well considered. Debian must reject systemd and
    its ilk, and restore itself to the values that got Linux to this
    point in history, in no small part *led* by Debian. They must loudly and
    publicly divorce themselves from GNOME, however painful and upsetting
    that may seem in the sort term, and focus on the core values of
    simplicity and freedom. Put systemd and it's cabal in non-free where it
    belongs if you must. Let the user decide if that's what
    they want. Enlightenment is an excellent choice for a default desktop
    that does not have the bloated baggage of GNOME. And to the Debian
    Leaders - after 20 years of my loyalty and evangelism, you really let
    me and all of us down. You need to grow a fucking pair and do the right
    thing here and now.

    Kick these fucking carpetbaggers to the curb!

    Gnome. The Linux Foundation. freedesktop.org, and others. These are all
    groups with agendas. These are not those who believe in freedom. They
    believe in control and standardization. They believe in sameness. Who
    are these people anyway? Who are these self-appointed keepers of the
    Linux flame? (subliminal malware reference intended). What are their
    true agendas? Who funds these people? Why do they so aggressively want
    to change the core of Linux away from it's true philosophy? Let them go
    off and create their own 'competitor' to Windows and Mac. If they did,
    it would be the same opaque, backdoored, user-tracking bullshit that
    Windows and Mac have become. They DO NOT speak for me, and you should
    not passively allow them to speak for you either.

    systemd is a trojan. systemd is a medusa. systemd is Substance D.
    systemd is scary - not just because it's tools suck, or because it's
    a massive fucking hairball - but because architecturally it has way
    too much concentrated power. We all need to collectively expel it from
    our midst because it will own Linux, and by extension us and our
    freedoms. systemd will *be* Linux. Sit idly by and ignore this fact at
    all of our collective peril.

    OneLinux == zero-choice

    --
    Regards,
    Christopher Barry

    Random geeky fortune:
    BOFH excuse #202:

    kernel panic: write-only-memory (/dev/wom0) capacity exceeded.

      Last update: 2014-08-12 21:41    [W:0.057 / U:124.260 seconds]