SubjectRe: futex(2) man page update help request
On 05/14/2014 01:56 PM, Davidlohr Bueso wrote:

>>> However, unless I'm sorely mistaken, the larger problem is that glibc
>>> removed the futex() call entirely, so these man pages don't describe
>>
>> I don't think futex() ever was in glibc--that's by design, and
>> completely understandable: no user-space application would want to
>> directly use futex().
>
> That's actually not quite true. There are plenty of software efforts out
> there that use futex calls directly to implement userspace serialization
> mechanisms as an alternative to the bulky sysv semaphores. I worked
> closely with an in-memory DB project that makes heavy use of them. Not
> everyone can simply rely on pthreads.

More fundamentally, futex(2), like clone(2), are things that can be
legitimately by user space without automatically breaking all of glibc.
There are some other things where that is *not* true, because glibc
relies on being able to mediate all accesses to a kernel facility, but
not here.

-hpa

  Last update: 2014-05-15 03:01    [W:0.728 / U:0.160 seconds]