SubjectRe: futex(2) man page update help request
From
On 5/15/14, 12:05, "chrubis@suse.cz" <chrubis@suse.cz> wrote:

>Hi!
>> >
>> >What advantages did you have in mind?
>>
>> Not CVS was a big one at the time ;-)
>>
>> OK, I don't mean to be disparaging here... But since you asked, back in
>> '09 LTP had some test quality issues and I felt I could maintain
>>futextest
>> to a higher bar independently.
>
>To be honest LTP was one of the messiest codebases I've seen and it was
>hacked up by mostly clueless people (there were even tests with race
>conditions that were carefully disabled in a way that was not easy to
>see). It took me months to get to a state where it compiled fine on
>major distributions.
>
>Today we still have quite a bit of legacy code that needs to be cleaned
>up, however that gets better every day.
>
>And most of the testcases are pretty stable, etc. unfortunatelly LTP has
>a bad reputation which is lot harder to fix than the code itself.

>> >I've been working on LTP for a about three years now and we happen to
>>do
>> >quite a lot in that time. The most visible changes would be more proper
>> >development practices (git, proper build system, code review, LKML
>> >coding style, documentation, ...) and also huge number of fixes. Now we
>> >are trying to catch up in coverage too.

>> >I would love to :).
>>
>> Does LTP need to own the code, or can it incorporate existing projects
>>and
>> a sort of aggregator?
>
>That is possible as well but not optimal. This approach would need a
>wrapper script to convert the test exit values to be LTP compatible.
>
>> How much LTP harness type code needs to be used?
>
>Not much.
>
>For this complexity of tests you would just need to call the tst_resm()
>interface to report success/failure and, at the end of the test,
>tst_exit() to return the stored overall test status.
>
>And ideally call the standard option parsing code and call the test in
>standard loop so that the test can take advantage of standard options as
>number of iterations to run, etc.
>
>Have a look at:
>
>https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/wiki/Test-Writing-Guidelines
>
>there is simple test example as well as description of the interfaces.

Thanks Cyril,

I'll follow up with you in a couple weeks most likely. I have some urgent
things that will be taking all my time and then some until then. Feel free
to poke me though if I lose track of it :-)

--
Darren Hart Open Source Technology Center
darren.hart@intel.com Intel Corporation

  Last update: 2014-05-16 03:41    [W:0.161 / U:1.192 seconds]