    SubjectRe: [patch 00/18] SMP: Boot and CPU hotplug refactoring - Part 1
    On Fri, 20 Apr 2012, Srivatsa S. Bhat wrote:
    > > This first part moves the idle thread management for non-boot cpus
    > > into the core. fork_idle() is called in a workqueue as it is
    > > implemented in a few architectures already. This is necessary when not
    > > all cpus are brought up by the early boot code as otherwise we would
    > > take a ref on the user task VM of the thread which brings the cpu up
    > > via the sysfs interface.
    > >
    > Do you have a git tree where you have made these patches available?
    > That would be pretty useful, so that we can build on whatever you have

    Not yet, but I'll stick that into a tip/ branch.

    > already done.. Myself and Nikunj had some initial design/ideas on reducing
    > the duplication in architecture code, related to managing the setting
    > of the cpu in the online mask, sending out CPU_STARTING notifiers etc
    > from generic code..

    The whole notifier business needs a redesign as well, because we don't
    have a way to express proper dependencies, we add random notifier
    points and the teardown path is ass backwards. The whole thing wants
    to be a tree which can be walked in either direction and from any
    point. Right now we cut the trunk first and keep the single limb up
    with a helicopter and start dismantling it.

    Flat notifiers are not working for this as they do not allow a tree
    structure and prevent us to do things in parallel.

    That really needs to be completely reworked. There is also a lot of
    stuff which wants to be moved into the starting/dying CPU
    context. Right now we kinda do that by trampling on the CPU with a
    high prio stomper thread, but that's really just a bandaid and steady
    cause of trouble.

    If you look at facilities which use kthreads, then there is lots other
    setup which does not need a notifier at all, as it can be done in the
    context of the thread when we have a way to start/park those threads
    at the right time in the up/down process.

    I've already done a prototype for kthread park/unpark and converted
    softirq over to use it. That makes the complete softirq notifier go
    away and let the core code handle the thread creation / start / park /
    unpark. It's pretty hacky right now, but I'm going to push on this
    next, once I have a better idea how to express the dependency tree.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-04-20 16:23    [W:0.024 / U:3.260 seconds]