    SubjectRe: [patch 00/18] SMP: Boot and CPU hotplug refactoring - Part 1
    On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 13:05 +0000, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I'm working on refactoring the SMP boot and CPU hotplug implementation.
    >
    > The current code has evolved over time into a conglomerate of
    > warts. My main goals are to:
    >
    > - reduce the architecture code by moving repeating constructs to the
    > core
    >
    > - redesigning the handling of per cpu threads. There is no point to
    > tear down the threads just to create them again.
    >
    > - restructuring the notifier facility into a proper tree with
    > dependencies to avoid the gazillion of callbacks and moving
    > setup/teardown code into the context of the upcoming/dying cpu
    >
    > The motivation behind this work is the cpu hotplug nightmare which we
    > are facing in the RT kernel and the requests from several groups
    > (e.g. ARM) to make hotplug more lightweight and faster.
    >
    > This first part moves the idle thread management for non-boot cpus
    > into the core. fork_idle() is called in a workqueue as it is
    > implemented in a few architectures already. This is necessary when not
    > all cpus are brought up by the early boot code as otherwise we would
    > take a ref on the user task VM of the thread which brings the cpu up
    > via the sysfs interface.
    >
    > This converts all architectures except m32r, mn10300, tile and UM to
    > the new core facility. These architecture are calling fork_idle() in
    > the very early boot code in smp_prepare_cpus() for unknown reasons.
    > I haven't analyzed yet, whether this is on purpose or can be moved
    > over to the generic facility. It'd be nice if the responsible maintainers
    > could look into that as well.

    Do you have a git tree we can try? If you do, I promise to test as soon
    as I can get my parisc systems nursed back to health after their
    apparently trying voyage across the atlantic.

    James

      Last update: 2012-04-20 16:29    [W:4.164 / U:0.388 seconds]