    SubjectRe: Updated btrfs/crypto snappy interface ready for merging
    On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 04:28:47PM -0800, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > Here's a slightly updated version of the BTRFS snappy interface.
    > snappy is a faster compression algorithm that provides similar
    > compression as LZO, but generally better performance.

    Recently the LZ4 method showed up on the real-time compression scene

    http://fastcompression.blogspot.com/p/lz4.html (homepage)
    http://code.google.com/p/lz4/ (source repo)

    it has comparable performance and compression ratio to snappy. Quoting
    from the source repo main page:

    Name Ratio C.speed D.speed
    LZ4 (r41) 2.08 319 1070
    LZO 2.05 1x_1 2.07 318 466
    Snappy 1.0.4 2.02 242 683

    My own benchmarking confirms that lz4 is has a bit faster decompression,
    but what is a big difference from snappy is it's memory consumption for
    compression:
    * 32kb for unbounded chunksize
    * 16kb for chunksize < 64k (a tuned compression)

    No additional memory is needed for decompression in both snappy and lz4.
    With a minor tweak and chunksize < 4G the context size could be reduced
    to 16k as well.

    There is also LZ4HC, "high compression" mode, which maintains same
    binary format, but the compression ratio is better.

    http://code.google.com/p/lz4hc/

    Usecase:
    There could be the fast version used transparently and the -hc version
    could be allowed for the 'fi defrag' command in order to recompress
    selected files.

    LZ4 is written in C and it's BSD, LZ4HC is L-GPL. There is some space
    for improvements in the code, but as it's good already as it stands now.

    david

      Last update: 2012-01-17 11:05    [W:0.022 / U:1.048 seconds]