    SubjectRe: Updated btrfs/crypto snappy interface ready for merging
    On 2012-01-13 01:28, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > Here's a slightly updated version of the BTRFS snappy interface.
    > snappy is a faster compression algorithm that provides similar
    > compression as LZO, but generally better performance.

    I'd like to note that the LZO version in the current Linux kernel is
    rather outdated - it seems to be based on the 2005 release.

    In fact the latest version LZO 2.06 does compress both slightly faster and
    better than snappy 1.0.4 when benchmarking the Calgary and Silesia
    compression corpus (tested with gcc 4.6 on Nehalem & Sandy Bridge).

    Furthermore please be aware that from a pure compression point of view
    snappy et al. are very close cousins of LZO (strictly byte-aligned LZ77)
    that mainly differ in implementation issues like using a table to
    number of branches - and indeed similar optimizations could be applied
    to any version.

    I'm not sure if there is an official kernel maintainer of LZO, but I'd
    offer to assist you updating to the latest version and eliminating
    any possible performance issues.

    Cheers,
    Markus

    --
    Markus Oberhumer, <markus@oberhumer.com>, http://www.oberhumer.com/

      Last update: 2012-01-18 16:33    [W:0.033 / U:1.620 seconds]