    SubjectRe: Linux drivers management
    David Chow wrote:
    >> This is a classic question, by seperating out the drivers you make it
    >> so much harder for all developers to propagate changes into all pieces
    >> of the tree.
    >
    > I write drivers, never need to change kernel if the kernel API is mature
    > enough to provide the need of a module developer needs. There is no
    > reason to make changes to the kernel source, only needed because the
    > original kernel code is crap or the API designed without proper
    > software/system architectural design work effort. Each Linux kernel
    > version go through a lengthy beta release cycle (e.g. 2.3, 2.5, 2.7),
    > this shouldn't happen and idea collection should be enough through this
    > large Linux community.

    Silly me, it was a trick question. I should have known better than to
    fall into that trap. See the responses you got from other people already
    and go check out the archives.

    No even better, here's a link:
    http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt

    If you still wish to argue for this, please take me off the CC list.
    To be honest, I don't think anyone on linux-kernel is interested in yet
    another round of this one.

    Cheers,
    Jes

      Last update: 2006-02-06 18:45    [W:0.026 / U:29.944 seconds]