SubjectRe: init process freezed after run_init_process
Thanks for kindly reply, :)

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>This is my grub config:
>>-----------------------------
>>root (hd0,0)
>>kernel /bzImage.via.386 root=/dev/ram0 rw ramdisk=49152
>>initrd /initrd.gz
>>-----------------------------
>

> Does it work if you add " ramdisk=65536 init=/linuxrc " ?

No. I got the same problem without linuxrc.
As I mount ram0 as root, linuxrc is not necessary. Right?

>>returned OK: initrd decompressed properly and open_exec
>>returned non-zero.
>

> If you use k[g]db, you should be able to find out where the kernel actually
> hangs.

After some digging, I found that the starting process of the VIA platform
and the intel platform is exactly the same:

1) checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (no cpio magic); looks like
an initrd
Freeing initrd memory: 9553k freed
3) RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on ram0, internal journal
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 128k freed

If I put the same hard disk into a intel platform without any change, it
can start properly, loading the same initrd as rootfs.

And also, if I remote the initrd config in VIA platform and mount my
hard disk as rootfs, it also works properly.

I missed some driver for VIA platform? Why it can work without initrd?
My initrd has an invalid format? Why it can work on intel platform?
I am really confused...

After the starting process, the /sbin/init is loaded: I found that in
a breakpoint of do_schedule. It keeps scheduling init and pdflush.
I am still finding the way to debug the init process...

> Jan Engelhardt

  Last update: 2005-04-07 05:40    [W:0.645 / U:0.728 seconds]