    SubjectRe: [RFC] Small PCI core patch
    On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 22:23 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
    > On 11/21/05, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
    > > which is obviously impossible) etc... They really doesn't give a shit
    > > about what we think, and will continue to do so until they get a bit fat
    > > lawsuit, that is my opinion at least.
    >
    > In the US you can't sue to force their hardware open until they are a
    > proven monopoly. And as long as we have both Nvidia and ATI splitting
    > the market we won't get a monopoly.

    No but you can sue for GPL breakage if their blob is considered as a
    derivative work or that sort of thing.

    > So the choices are:
    >
    > 1) Live in 1998. What happens in five years R200's are no longer
    > available, fallback to VGA?
    >
    > 2) Temporarily accept the ugly drivers. Let desktop development
    > continue. Work hard on getting the vendors to see the light and go
    > open source.

    Won't happen without some incentive. Besides, I can't accept the ugly
    driver for the very simple reason that they only exist for x86 and I
    have no such thing ...

    Your other points are totally irrelevant.

    Ben.

      Last update: 2005-11-22 04:49    [W:0.021 / U:59.276 seconds]