    SubjectRe: [RFC] Small PCI core patch
    On Tuesday 22 November 2005 06:11, Neil Brown wrote:
    > I doubt they will see 'the light' for many years without dollar signs
    > attached.
    > A question worth asking is: Who needs whom? Do we (FLOSS community)
    > need them (Graphics hardware manufactures) or do they need us?
    > Despite growth in Linux on Desktops, I think we need them a lot more
    > than they need us.
    > Who is going to pay these people to do this work? If you agree with
    > the analysis of 'who needs whom', the logical answer is 'us'.
    > Maybe we need a small consortium of companies with vested interest in
    > OSS each ponying up half a million, and use this to employ two teams
    > of graphics experts, one of which works within NVidia, and one within
    > ATI. I suspect the two companies could be convinced to take on some
    > free engineering support, if it was presented the right way.
    > Anyone got a few dollars to spare?

    Historically hackers were not too good at raising funds.

    Maybe we should use stuff which we are good at? Forcedeth
    is a nice precedent. 2d and especially 3d engines
    may be significantly harder to reverse engineer,
    but people can scale rather nicely, as kernel development shows. ;)

    Then write specs from gained knowledge and put it on a web page.

    IIRC reverese engineering for driver development is legal
    in most countries.

    If ATI/NVidia will sue Linux on this, then server-oriented companies
    (RedHat, IBM, ...) probably could provide defence.

      Last update: 2005-11-22 09:10    [W:0.021 / U:46.148 seconds]