    SubjectRe: [RFC] Small PCI core patch
    Jeff Garzik wrote:

    >On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 05:46:41PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
    >

    >>4) Write a translation layer (for xorg or the kernel) that can load
    >>Windows drivers. Use binary translation for non-x86. Hope the APIs are
    >>not patented.
    >>

    >Give up all hope of ever diagnosing or fixing a crash.
    >
    >Welcome to Windows instability, circa 1995.

    You exaggerate. Windows drivers work well enough in Windows (or so I
    presume). One just has to implement the environment these drivers
    expect, very carefully.

    For the untrusting, options do remain:

    - run the driver in userspace (if it's a xorg driver, in a separate
    process) so that all outputs can be validated
    - use binary translation even on x86 and validate all memory and I/O
    accesses (like valgrind, but hopefully faster)

    It's still possible for the driver to dma stuff where it shouldn't.
    Maybe IOMMU games (where available) can help. But I seriously doubt it
    will be that bad.

      Last update: 2005-11-22 17:18    [W:0.021 / U:1.248 seconds]