    SubjectRe: radeon-pre-2
    Dave Airlie wrote:
    >>2D and 3D _are_ to most intents and purposes different functions. They
    >>are as different as IDE CD and IDE disk if not more so.
    >

    > stop saying this, it isn't true and hasn't been for years, for the mach64
    > type cards I'd agree, for something even like the i810 this isn't
    > true, most cards have two paths (at least), an unaccelerated 2D path via
    > programmed registers, and an accelerated path via some DMA mechanism, this
    > isn't a 2d/3d split, you have to use the DMA mechanism for doing some 2d
    > acceleration and you have to use it for all 3d acceleration normally,
    >
    > Lots of X DDX drivers use the accelerator for 2d stuff, some fbs use it
    > for accelerating scrolling, the DRM uses it, this is wrong wrong wrong
    > wrong...X/DRM at least lock each other out, but the fb just tramps in
    > wearing its size nines.. so in summary the 2D/3D split exists in peoples
    > minds (graphics cards designers excepted...)

    Yes, it is closest to the truth to believe there is one acceleration engine
    that does all drawing, and this should ideally have a single owner.

    But that doesn't mean that mode-setting, etc, has to be moved into the DRM -
    for my money that stuff can stay where it is, provided there are some sensible
    interfaces put in place between the two components.

    Keith

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.020 / U:89.440 seconds]