    SubjectRe: radeon-pre-2

    > We've addressed this before. Zillions of drivers provide multiple
    > functions to multiple higher level subsystems. They don't all have to
    > be compiled together to make it work.
    >
    > 2D and 3D _are_ to most intents and purposes different functions. They
    > are as different as IDE CD and IDE disk if not more so.

    So the IDE-CD driver and IDE-disk drivers both program registers on the
    IDE controller directly.. oh no the ide driver seems to do that.. this is
    FUD, a graphics card is a device, singular one device, it requires one
    device driver, the device driver should provide control over the device
    and be the only one to program its registers.. it can provide services to
    who ever wants services, be it a 2D console driver or a 3D client or a 4D
    super-time-travelling application,

    I can't write a user space IDE driver and still expect the kernel one to
    be happy, I can't write a second IDE driver for a chipset for formatting
    disks and expect the normal kernel driver to stay working with it, why do
    people think graphics driver are meant to be different..

    Alan, I agree with how you want to proceed with this, and keep things
    stable, but anything short of a single card-specific driver looking after
    the registers and DMA queueing and locking is going to have deficiencies
    and the DRM has a better basis than the fb drivers,

    Dave.

    --
    David Airlie, Software Engineer
    http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
    pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.023 / U:31.620 seconds]