    SubjectRe: radeon-pre-2
    On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 06:19 +0100, Dave Airlie wrote:

    > > You're probably right, but it still doesn't follow that this driver must
    > > include all the fbdev and DRM code as well. Both fbdev and the DRM could
    > > use that driver, e.g., just like ide_cd and ide_disk use the IDE driver.
    >
    > I think your wrong, look at drivers/video/aty/radeon* and tell me what in
    > there is capable of being abstracted from the hardware, every file access
    > lowlevel registers for something or other, be it mode setting or I2C,

    I'm not talking about abstracting much of anything, just moving
    (arbitration of) actual hardware access to a common lowlevel driver. The
    things you mentioned but snipped above, basically.

    > now accessing lowlevels while the CP is running on a radeon is a one way
    > express to the land of the lockups...

    No need to tell me that...

    > (think mode setting a second head, while a 3d app is running on the first
    > head...), the lowlevel driver can provide a DRM and FB interface to fbcon
    > and 3d stuff, but the lowlevel driver needs all the code to do both...

    I still haven't seen a complete logical chain leading to that
    conclusion.

    The lowlevel driver could provide all the necessary arbitration and
    safety measures to prevent the two from stepping on each other's toes.

    > The other thing I think some people are confusing is 2.4 fbdev and 2.6...

    Again, not me.

    > there is no console support in 2.6 fbdev drivers, it is all in the fbcon
    > stuff, so the fbdev drivers are only doing 2d mode setting and monitor
    > detection, [...]

    Exactly. Why not leave it like that, and the DRM taking care of memory
    management and rendering?

    > 1. It doesn't matter where the code lives, fbdev/DRM need to start talking
    > about things

    Agreed.

    > 2. A generic interface between the two is probably going to be impossible,

    Probably true, I'm not talking about a generic interface (although some
    parts might be generic, just like the DRM userspace interface).

    --
    Earthling Michel Dänzer | Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer
    Libre software enthusiast | http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer