    SubjectRe: Flame Linus to a crisp!
    On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 08:59:45PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > Btw, one thing that is clearly _not_ allowed by the GPL is hiding private
    > keys in the binary. You can sign the binary that is a result of the build
    > process, but you can _not_ make a binary that is aware of certain keys
    > without making those keys public - because those keys will obviously have
    > been part of the kernel build itself.

    The GPL does allow you to embed a public key in the kernel, which could
    enforce only executables signed with a private key from being run, or
    only signed modules from being loaded. Both of which are things that I
    know a lot of people want to do (and I've done in the past, see
    http://linuxusb.bkbits.net:8080/cryptomark-2.4 for the 2.4 version of a
    signed binaries are only allowed to run patch.)

    I know a lot of people can (and do) object to such a potential use of
    Linux, and I'm glad to see you explicitly state that this is an
    acceptable use, it helps to clear up the issue.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.023 / U:33.996 seconds]