SubjectRe: Flame Linus to a crisp!
On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 05:59, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> The GPL requires you to give out sources to the kernel, but it doesn't
> limit what you can _do_ with the kernel. On the whole, this is just
> another example of why rms calls me "just an engineer" and thinks I have
> no ideals.

The "hot" issue is partially this part of the GPL:

For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code
for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition
files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of
the executable.

where it seems to say that if you need a script to be able to usefully
install a self compiled kernel, that script is part of "the sourcecode".
Now this of course can't and doesn't mean that people would need to give
up their private keys to the public; said "script" of course can also
install a second key or disable the keychecking.

Or maybe I'm just totally interpreting this wrong.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.304 / U:0.088 seconds]