SubjectRe: md multipath with disk missing ?

Oktay,

You should really be using devfs in a situation such as yours, where you
need device name consistency during reboots.

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Oktay Akbal wrote:

> > > Does this only work with raid-autodetection ?
> > > When no autodetection is done and a drive is missing, would a raidstart
> > > kill the raid, since the drives are now available with other devices (sda
> > > instead of former sdb...) ?
> >
> > I don't understand your question, sorry.
>
> Example:
>
> We have sda - sdb (8 drives) and setup up a raidtab to tell linux that
> sda and sde are the same sdc - sdd etc.
> Now for some random error the server restarts and the former sda (path to
> that drive) is no longer available. So now we have sda,sdb...sdg.
> We do not use autodetect, but raidstart to activate the raid.
>
> now since the former sda is missing the raidtab does not reflect the
> actual setup. The raidtab would read, that sda and sdb are the same
> drive, which is not true in that case.
>
> (The device-ordering would not be right for a real setup, but take it as
> an example and assume sda-sde sdb-sdf...)
>
> Would the superblock prevent the wrong use of devices ?
> (With raid-configuration setup on top of multipathing ?)
>

> Oktay Akbal
> S-Tec Datenverarbeitung GmbH
> Feuerbachstr. 8
> 68163 Mannheim
> Tel: 0621-4185070
> Fax: 0621-4185071
>
> -

[-] Steve Mickeler [ steve@neptune.ca ]

[|] Todays root password is brought to you by /dev/random

[+] 1024D/9AA80CDF = 4103 9E35 2713 D432 924F 3C2E A7B9 A0FE 9AA8 0CDF

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.620 / U:0.260 seconds]