SubjectRe: md multipath with disk missing ?
On 2002-09-09T15:46:15,
Oktay Akbal <oktay.akbal@s-tec.de> said:

> Example:
>
> We have sda - sdb (8 drives) and setup up a raidtab to tell linux that
> sda and sde are the same sdc - sdd etc.
> Now for some random error the server restarts and the former sda (path to
> that drive) is no longer available. So now we have sda,sdb...sdg.
> We do not use autodetect, but raidstart to activate the raid.
>
> now since the former sda is missing the raidtab does not reflect the
> actual setup. The raidtab would read, that sda and sdb are the same
> drive, which is not true in that case.
>
> (The device-ordering would not be right for a real setup, but take it as
> an example and assume sda-sde sdb-sdf...)
>
> Would the superblock prevent the wrong use of devices ?

I hope so. But yes, your setup would break spectularly because the devices
moved and the raids wouldn't go online. This shouldn't happen with the
autostart feature, I think.

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>

--
Immortality is an adequate definition of high availability for me.
--- Gregory F. Pfister