    SubjectRe: invalidate_inode_pages in 2.5.32/3
    Chuck Lever wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > That all assumes SMP/preempt. If you're seeing these problems on
    > > uniproc/non-preempt then something fishy may be happening.
    > sorry, forgot to mention: the system is UP, non-preemptible, high mem.
    > invalidate_inode_pages isn't freeing these pages because the page count is
    > two. perhaps the page count semantics of one of the page cache helper
    > functions has changed slightly. i'm still diagnosing.
    > fortunately the problem is deterministically reproducible. basic test6,
    > the readdir test, of 2002 connectathon test suite, fails -- either a
    > duplicate file entry or a missing file entry appears after some standard
    > file creation and removal processing in that directory. the incorrect
    > entries occur because the NFS client zaps the directory's page cache to
    > force the next reader to re-read the directory from the server. but
    > invalidate_inode_pages decides to leave the pages in the cache, so the
    > next reader gets stale cached data instead.

    Perhaps this explains my nfs problem. (2.5.32/33 UP, preempt, no
    Soemtimes, when editing a file on nfs, the file disappears
    from the server. The client believes it is there
    until an umount+mount sequence. It doesn't happen
    for all files, but it is 100% reproducible for those affected.

    Editing changes the directory when the editor makes a backup
    copy, the old directory is kept around wrongly, and so the
    save into the existing file silently fails because
    wrong directory information from cache is used?

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.023 / U:4.888 seconds]