    SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)
    Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
    > Now to do everything you describe does not need her to configure a custom
    > kernel tree. Not one bit. You think apt or up2date build each user a custom
    > kernel tree ?

    Is it OK in your world that Aunt Tillie is dependent on a distro maker? Is
    it OK that she never gets to have a kernel compiled for anything above the
    least-common-denominator chip?

    Not that I'm running down distro makers. They do a valuable job, and in fact
    my approach relies on Aunt Tillie's machine starting life with an all-modular
    distro kernel.

    But the point of this game is for Aunt Tillie to have more and better
    choices. Isn't that what we're supposed to be about?

    Government should be weak, amateurish and ridiculous. At present, it
    fulfills only a third of the role. -- Edward Abbey