lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2002]   [Jan]   [14]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)
Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
> Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
> > Now to do everything you describe does not need her to configure a custom
> > kernel tree. Not one bit. You think apt or up2date build each user a custom
> > kernel tree ?
>
> Is it OK in your world that Aunt Tillie is dependent on a distro maker? Is
> it OK that she never gets to have a kernel compiled for anything above the
> least-common-denominator chip?

Yes, and yes. Aunt Tillie is running Linux because someone installed a
distribution for her.

She is never going to need anything out of her kernel that her vendor-shipped
update kernels do not provide. She is never going to need the 1% performance
difference she might she if she custom-compiled a kernel for her architecture
rather than using the closest one shipped by her vendor.

> But the point of this game is for Aunt Tillie to have more and better
> choices. Isn't that what we're supposed to be about?

No. We're supposed to be about stuff that works. Vendor-shipped kernels work
for 99.9% of people. The remaining 0.1% have no need for an
"auto-configurator".

Charles
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Charles Cazabon <charlesc@discworld.dyndns.org>
GPL'ed software available at: http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.134 / U:6.588 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site