    SubjectRe: Module Licensing?
    On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Larry McVoy wrote:

    > > Since your program, which happens to consist of one open
    > > source part and one proprietary part, is partly a derived
    > > work from the kernel source (by using kernel header files
    > > and the inline functions in it) your whole work must be
    > > distributed under the GPL.
    >
    > This is obviously incorrect, that would say that
    >
    > #include <sys/types.h>
    >
    > means my app is now GPLed. Good luck enforcing that.

    You're right, just including <sys/types.h> won't do that,
    but either of:

    1) using inline functions from a .h file or
    2) linking to the library/kernel later on

    might mean your stuff is GPLed.

    Be careful which definitions you get from the
    header file, inline functions are a very grey
    area ;)

    regards,

    Rik
    --