    SubjectLoading Linux from Linux - opinions
    Whats the status of the "Loading Linux from Linux" patch?  What is the
    chance of a patch like this making it into a stable release?

    I've downloaded the LOBOS stuff and I'm gonna try doing some
    experimentation with that this weekend. Its occured to me that a single
    linux application running under a stripped down kernel (which could even
    reside on a DOS drive to get around 1024 cyl limitations), could provide
    a number of useful features if you can grab a kernel from any drive and
    boot it. Guessing you can boot a wintendo parition in a similar fashion.
    As long as LILO boots a stripped down, quick loading kernel, that kernel
    can be used to do all sorts of stuff including boot your main kernel,
    give a boot menu, or even some of the features of an OpenPROM system.

    The idea would be to have something like this installed for you by your
    fav distribution (if you wanted it) as part of the install process since
    the installer will know more about how you set up your partitions and
    could provide a ready-to-eat implementation.

    Way I see it :
    1 - you get a free emergency repair kernel, could even have a copy of
    linload or something you can get to from windblows to boot the stripped
    down kernel which in turn gives you your boot menu so you can get to
    everything and fix it. Or shell out to a command line with vi ...
    2 - full EIDE (or SCSI) driver, so you don't have a 1024 cyl limit as
    long as you keep the stripped down kernel on your first partition (like
    on a windows drive) loaded by LILO. Not the most secure, but if someone
    can hit the reset button and stick in a boot floppy, nothing is secure
    3 - those with fixed frequency monitors can have the stripped kernel set
    the video mode (after booting - you miss the original boot, but it should
    be fast enough as you won't have any start-up or devices, just kernel
    load followed by fbset) so that when the important full-kernel boots we
    can see it happen without a serial terminal, without cluttering up
    modedb.c with every fixed frequency monitor just to get it to boot (added
    my NeXT monitor, but for anyone else its just clutter ... although being
    able to pass the full set of monitor timings to the kernel in the video=
    line would be nice too, anyone else think that could be useful for us
    people struggling with fixed frequency monitors?)
    4 - a command line could load modules into the kernel to configure
    ethernet for network boots - was actually going to set up some sort of
    scripting language maybe.
    5 - Configure and save boot options in a single interface, like a SUN
    prom, change defaults without re-running LILO
    6 - Provide fancy GUI boot menus using microwindows/nanogui which build
    on FBcon so its really small and lightweight, we're talking K instead of
    Megs for a full GUI.
    7 - if you wanna really avoid filesystem clutter, like if ur putting
    this on your windows filesystem or on a seperate /boot partition (how I
    get around 1024 now), you can make a disk image of a filesystem, like
    cramfs, and mount it through the loopback device to reduce the number of
    files and executables - might be good for a set of "emergency repair"

    I have some other ideas too, but I wanna play with it a bit and see how
    it goes. But wanted to get a lil feedback.

    Do You Yahoo!?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.030 / U:8.672 seconds]