SubjectRe: [linux-fbdev] fbdev 2.4.0 cleanups

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> > > Err, ...
> > >
> > > not, there is no reason i should not be able to change mode of Xfree-fbdev
> > > whit fbset, not sure it will work, but still that is xfree who is broken.
> >
> > No the X server should change the modes. Their is also the problem of two
> > apps trying to set the video mode at the same time. Broken apps shouldn't
> > force the kernel to be broken.
>
> Too, bad, ...
>
> fbset has a nice interface i understand, while the Xserver offer no such
> thing, appart from the limited ctr+alt+[+-] stuff.

Yeah I know. It could be better.

> > Security :) One of the goals is to allow anyone to run a app on /dev/fb.
> > No more root.
>
> I do not understand you here, ...
>
> whats the problem with me wanting to know what resolution my xserver is
> currently running at ?

First their is app called xdpyinfo that does this. If you need a program
to know this their are Xlib function calls that do this. Look at xdpyinfo
source code.

> i just do a fbset -i on it, and then i can for example set the console fbdev
> mode to exatcly the same to avoid slow switching between the console and X.

Thats fine. You open /dev/fb and set the mode then close /dev/fb. Then you
VT switch to another VT and start X.

"Look its a text editor, no its a OS, no its Emacs"
James Simmons (o_
fbdev/gfx developer (o_ (o_ //\
http://www.linux-fbdev.org (/)_ (/)_ V_/_
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.159 / U:0.140 seconds]